The Turnov area: Through Klokočské skály to Kozákov
TURNOV, nám. Českého ráje – the Klokočí Passages (6 km) – Drábovna (10 km) – Kozákov (11 km) – Under the Radostná spring (11.5 km) – Loktuše, Na Špici, bus (13.5 km) – Rotštejn (14 km) – Postojná (16 km) – Bělá, bus (19 km) – TURNOV, nám. Českého ráje (21 km)
It is possible to shorten the trip or to split it into two parts using the train.
TURNOV – lies at an intersection of ancient trade routes in an area with numerous traces of prehistoric settlement. Albrecht von Wallenstein acquired the estate after 1620. The town was divided among two estates, the Skála Estate and the Rohozec Estate which was acquired by the house of Des Fours. Stone working began at that time and was later expanded to include the new field of the production and working of glass to imitate precious stones. Turnov is the birthplace of distinctive individuals involved in the Czech renaissance and later in Czech politics.
Its historical monuments include: the neo-renaissance town hall (originally late gothic), the Deaconate Church of St. Nicholas (originally gothic, renovated as baroque), the former monastery church of St. Francis of Assisi on the square, the neo-gothic Church of the Birth of the Virgin Mary (one of the largest neo-gothic churches in Europe), the small Church of St. John the Baptist in Nudvojovice dating from the beginning of the 13th century (originally Romanesque, renovated in the gothic style), the Hrubý Rohozec Château (originally a castle), the Turnov synagogue (one of the oldest preserved synagogues in the Czech Republic), the Jewish cemetery and the Museum of the Bohemian Paradise with historical, ethnographic and geological collections. The Garnet Gallery is also of interest. The Valdštejn Castle and Dlask Farm with exhibitions of outdoor dwellings and agricultural tools are located near the town.
THE KLOKOČÍ CLIFFS – a continuous cliff ridge made of Palaeozoic sandstone with a thickness of up to 60 metres and many caves. The cliff wall is about 1600 m long and in places it is divided into isolated cliff towers and crevasses. The cliff walls offer beautiful views of Kozákov and the Jizera Mountains.
THE KLOKOČÍ PASSAGES – a deep crevasse in a cliff wall above the village of Klokočí. A trail connecting Turnov with the northeast area led through the passages for centuries. The route used to follow a track several metres higher up, as is clear from the carved cliff.
DRÁBOVNA (the Kozákov area) – a sandstone massif rises from the flanks of Kozákov and a room has been carved into it. It possibly used to serve as a watchtower. The pseudo-karst Babí and Kudrnáčova pec caves are located somewhat lower.
KOZÁKOV – the guardian mountain of the Bohemian Paradise and its highest point (744 m above sea level), the lookout tower and the Rieger Chalet. As well as the view of the Bohemian Paradise and the area around the Jizera, there is also a panoramic view from the Central Czech Mountain Range across the Lusatian Mountains, the Ještěd Ridge, the Jizera Mountains, the Giant Mountains, the Broumov Downs, the Eagle Mountains and on to the promontories of the Czech-Moravian Highlands. During good weather, it is possible to see one quarter of Bohemia from there and it is also possible to see the highest buildings in Prague on the horizon with a telescope.
ROTŠTEJN – the ruins of a rock castle established before 1300 in the south-east part of the Klokočí Cliffs. The castle was mostly wooden and it was partially carved into the cliffs. The dominant feature was the tower with the rock gate behind the pass. The rock benches and signs of the fireplace and the chimney have been preserved in the former kitchen. There are also remains of the brick palace, several cliff rooms, a wall with embrasures and the castle well.
POSTOJNÁ – a large number of large and small caves have been created in the walls of the Klokočí Cliffs. The best know of them is the Postojná Cave (also known as America). It is open to the public. It has a relatively narrow entrance leading to an expansive room with dimensions of 16 x18 m. Other gradually narrowing corridors also open off from it (a total of 75 m).
Accessibility for the blind - braille: