The Turnov area: The Hrubá Skála Circuit
TURNOV, nám. Českého ráje – Turnov-město, the train stop (1 km) – Hlavatice (2 km) – Valdštejn (3.5 km) – Bukovina, the arboretum (6 km) – Adamovo lože (6.5 km) – the Marian Lookout, the Mountaineers’ Symbolic Cemetery (7 km) – Antonínův pramen (7.5 km) – Pod Majákem (9 km) – thecar park under Valdštejnem (11 km) – Turnov-město, the train (13 km) – TURNOV, nám. Českého ráje (13,5 km)
TURNOV – lies at an intersection of ancient trade routes in an area with numerous traces of prehistoric settlement. Albrecht von Wallenstein acquired the estate after 1620. The town was divided among two estates, the Skála Estate and the Rohozec Estate which was acquired by the house of Des Fours. Stone working began at that time and was later expanded to include the new field of the production and working of glass compositions which imitated precious stones. Turnov is the birthplace of distinctive individuals involved in the Czech renaissance and later in Czech politics.
Its historical monuments include: the neo-renaissance town hall (originally late gothic), the Deaconate Church of St. Nicholas (originally gothic, renovated as baroque), the former monastery church of St. Francis of Assisi on the square, the neo-gothic Church of the Birth of the Virgin Mary (one of the largest neo-gothic churches in Europe), the small Church of St. John the Baptist in Nudvojovice dating from the beginning of the 13th century (originally Romanesque, renovated in the gothic style), the Hrubý Rohozec Château (originally a castle), the Turnov synagogue (one of the oldest preserved synagogues in the Czech Republic), the Jewish cemetery and the Museum of the Bohemian Paradise with historical, ethnographic and geological collections. The Garnet Gallery is also of interest. The Valdštejn Castle and Dlask Farm with exhibitions of outdoor dwellings and agricultural tools are located near the town.
HLAVATICE – a sandstone tower, the top is accessible via a winding staircase. Views of Turnov, the Kozákov Ridge and the Ještěd Ridge, the Jizera Mountains, Bezděz and Ralsko. The lookout point has a sign pointing to the different landmarks.
VALDŠTEJN – the oldest castle in the Bohemian Paradise and the cradle of the House of Valdštejn – it is a popular trip destination thanks to its colourful stories and romantic renovations. Visitors are attracted by the medieval sections of Valdštejn Castle with its rocky cellars, the palace renovated in the romantic style, the ceremonial hall, the Church of St. John of Nepomuk and the small chapel consecrated to John the Baptist with a picture of the saint in an apparent likeness of the poet Karel Hynek Mácha.
THE HRUBÁ SKÁLA AREA – one of the most significant rock towns characterised by imposing towers and steep canyons. The relatively low resistance of the sandstone has caused a wealth of shapes to be created in the cliff walls. For this reason, it is also popular with mountaineers. The Bohemian Paradise Golden Trail leads along a ridge with a number of lookout points. The nearby Kopic Farm, one of the most important folk architecture structures in the Bohemian Paradise, includes a statue of Saint George dating from 1817 and many rock bas-reliefs by the self-taught artist, Vojtěch Kopic.
THE BUKOVINA ARBORETUM – established in 1860 by the owner of the Hrubá Skála estate, L. Aehrenthal, and his forest manager, L. Anger. It mainly consists of trees from North America. It is one of the oldest tree collections and the first test area for cultivating North American trees in Central Europe. There are several tens of tree species and their cultivars, often of a remarkable age. There is a historical gazebo dating from the second half of the 19th century which was built in the Swiss style and houses an exhibition and a seasonal information centre
THE MARIAN LOOKOUT – offers a well-known postcard panorama of Hrubá Skála, Trosky and Kozákov. There is also a wonderful view of the rock formation called the Dragon Cliffs.
THE MOUNTAINEERS’ SYMBOLIC CEMETERY – a symbolic cemetery for mountaineers who have been tragically killed has been established under the wall of the Nekonečná Cliff. The original idea of the sculptor and mountaineer V. Karoušek arose after the tragedy of the Czechoslovak mountaineering expedition to Peru in 1970, where he also later died.
Accessibility for the blind - braille: